1.22.2010

Trouble...Trouble Trouble Trouble Trouble

The title of this post will relate to its content, but also the song Trouble by Ray LaMontagne is in my head because of American Idol 2 nights ago.




Anyway, on to the post. I teach at an alternative high school in Round Rock. I teach Child Development, Nutrition, and Family Relationships to kids who have dropped out of traditional high schools all around Round Rock. Usually my students are older - 18, 19...I have 2 that are 20.

After having taught here for 2 months now, I am completely immersed in the lives of these students. They tend to be a little more open about their lives than students at a traditional high school. These kids have been through some seriously tough stuff and have gotten in major trouble (I told you the title related).

Last night, as I was sitting on my comfy couch with Dave, eating spaghetti and watching TV...I couldn't get the hardships of my students out of my mind. I have 1 that is completely homeless. She is 17, has a 4 month old son, and they travel from shelter to shelter each night. The father is abusive and the baby has been sick since the day he was born. That's just 1 of my students.

Having said these things (and thank you for listening) I decided this week that I am devoted to this job. These kids might not have anyone that cares for them (or shows it). If I can be a smiling face for them, then I need to be there. Doing that. And that is what's important right now.

5 comments:

Julie Allen said...

You are the best "dumpee" because you care:)

Shums said...

I have no doubt your support means the world to them. That's usually the effect you have on people. :)

Kirsten said...

That's a perfect job for you, Jess. You are an amazing and lovely person. I'm glad those kids have you.

Liz Perriton said...

Ok so I never read blogs, but what I just read was worth reading. Kinda made me tear up a little. I love you!

Aaron, Bri, and Aizley said...

Wow I find it amazing that the girl living in shelters is coming to school. That is some real dedication. You have always had a gift with teens, and wow are you able to use it here. What a blessing for you and them.